– Halon 1211 (BCF) pressurized extinguishers are used for fires on electrical / electronics equipment.
– These extinguishers can be used on Class A, B and C fires.
– It is virtually non-corrosive and non-abrasive.
– It is at least twice as effective on Class B fires as carbon-dioxide, compared on weight of agent basis.
– The extinguishing media contained in these extinguishers is hydrocarbons in which one or more hydrogen atoms have been replaced by atoms from halogen series; florine, chlorine, bromine or iodine.
– The substitution confers not only non flammability but also flame extinguishing properties to any of the resulting compounds.
METHOD OF OPERATION :
The extinguishing must be operated and applied to fire in the same way as C02 extinguisher.
APPLICATION : It is suitable for Class K / Class B / Class C fire. Here 1% AFFFF solution is added.
STORAGE EXTINGUISHERS IN OPEN AREA :
– fire extinguisher should be placed in fiber glass or metal cabinets in such a way that bottom is 750mm above the ground level.
– It may be necessary to construct suitable shades or covers to protect the extinguishers inthe openfrom rigors of weather unless these are housed in fibre glass or metal cabinets
designed for the purpose. |
– where cabinets or shades are used to house the extinguisher in the open, these should be
so designed that removal of these extinguishers are not hampered in an emergency.
STORGAE OF EXTINGUISHERS INSIDE AND UNDER COVER:
Fire extinguishers, whether hung on brackets or kept on shelves, their bottom should be
about 750 mm above the floor level. In no case a fire extinguisher should be placed in a
position where it is likely to gain heat from the surrounding equipment or the process.
MAINTENANCE, INSPECTION AND TESTING :
Routine maintenance, inspection and testing of all fire extinguishers in respect of mechanical parts, extinguishing media and expelling means could be carried out by properly trained personnel at frequent intervals at least once in a month to make sure that these are in their proper working condition and have not been accidentally dischatged or lost pressure or damaged.
Following procedure should be followed for monthly maintenance, inspection and testing.
– clean the exterior of the extinguisher, polish the painted position with wax, polish the brass parts with metal polish, chromium plated parts with silver polish.
– Check the nozzle oudet and vent holes and the threaded portion of the cap for clogging and ensure that the plunger is in fully extended position and is clean.
– Check the cap washer, grease the threads of cap plunger rod and wipe clean.
– Make sure that the extinguisher is in proper condition and is not accidentally discharged. In case of stored pressure extinguisher, pressure gauge is to be checked for correct pressure.
– Check all mechanical parts thoroughly.
ANNUAL INSPECTION (Other than Performance Test)
At longer interval, at least once in a year, a more thorough inspection and maintenance of extinguisher, including chemical charge inside and expellant should be carried out by trained personnel. Any extinguisher showing corrosion or damage to the body internally or externally should be replaced. Faulty, damaged and corroded parts shall be replaced by correct component. Illegible labels should be replaced.